TRON Lightcycle Run is a cutting-edge roller coaster attraction that recently opened on April 4, 2023, at Magic Kingdom Park in Walt Disney World Resort. Based on the 2010 film “TRON: Legacy,” this high-speed attraction transports riders into a dark, computerized world where they join Team Blue in a race against Team Orange, a group of menacing Programs. This high-adrenaline coaster is the fastest in Disney theme parks, with a sister coaster located in Shanghai Disneyland.
Entering the World of TRON
The Attraction Canopy
The first thing riders notice about TRON Lightcycle Run is the massive “curved wave” canopy that dominates Tomorrowland’s skyline. Lightcycles seemingly appear out of nowhere beneath this gleaming structure, creating a visual spectacle that is even more mesmerizing at night.
Digitizer and Sync Chamber
Before boarding their Lightcycles, guests pass through a Digitizer, where they are transformed into digital beings and given a glimpse of the game world. They then proceed to the Sync Chamber, where they board their Lightcycles and prepare for the race.
Experiencing the Grid
Racing through Energy Gates
Once on the Grid, riders race through eight Energy Gates in an attempt to defeat Team Orange. The coaster reaches incredible speeds and features onboard audio and lighting, as well as specially crafted safety restraints that allow riders to lean forward on their Lightcycles.
The Immersive Environment
The TRON Lightcycle Run experience is heightened by a moody, urgent musical score composed by Joseph Trapanese, as well as stunning visual effects that fully immerse riders in the digital world of TRON.
New TRON Merchandise and Dining Options
Gear Up for the Grid
Guests can prepare for their journey with exclusive TRON merchandise, including racing-themed apparel, collectible pins, toys, and light-up accessories. Customizable TRON action figures are also available for purchase.
Power Up at Energy Bytes
Located near the attraction, Energy Bytes is a quick-service kiosk offering a fun twist on global cuisines, with menu items inspired by the TRON films and the sister attraction in Shanghai Disneyland.
Important Information and Requirements
Height Requirement and Accessibility
Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to experience TRON Lightcycle Run. More information about planning a visit can be found at DisneyWorld.com.
Virtual Queue and Lightning Lane Access
Guests with valid park admission and Magic Kingdom Park reservations can join the virtual queue for the attraction via the My Disney Experience app. Individual Lightning Lane entry is also available for purchase. Standby queues are not available for TRON Lightcycle Run.
TRON Lightcycle Run is a one-of-a-kind, high-speed roller coaster that offers a thrilling and immersive experience for fans of the TRON films and thrill-seekers alike. With its captivating visuals, exhilarating ride, and exclusive merchandise and dining options, this new attraction is a must-visit addition to Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park.
- Is TRON Lightcycle Run suitable for all ages? Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride. While the attraction is thrilling, it may not be suitable for younger children or those sensitive to high speeds and intense visuals.
- How does the virtual queue work for TRON Lightcycle Run? Guests can join the virtual queue via the My Disney Experience app on the day of their visit. Availability is limited and not guaranteed.
- What is the difference between TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom and Shanghai Disneyland? The two attractions share the same ride system, thrilling high-speed coaster experience, and visual effects. However, there may be slight differences in the theming and surrounding areas of each attraction.
- Are there any special effects or lighting on the TRON Lightcycle Run attraction? Yes, the attraction features stunning visual effects, onboard audio and lighting on the Lightcycles, and a canopy with more than 1,200 lights that create an impressive visual spectacle, especially at night.
- What are some of the menu items available at Energy Bytes? Energy Bytes offers a variety of unique dishes, including Digital Dumplings with buffalo chicken or beef & broccoli, Strawberry IceOform, Watermelon Refresher, Chocolate Doughnut Holes with Mocha Sauce, and Joffrey’s™ Cold Brew Coffee with Mocha Sauce.
- What type of merchandise is available for TRON Lightcycle Run? Guests can purchase exclusive TRON merchandise such as racing-themed apparel, collectible pins, toys, light-up accessories, and customizable action figures inspired by the films and the attraction.
- Is there a place to store personal belongings while riding TRON Lightcycle Run? Guests can store bags, purses, hats, and other items in double-sided lockers that are opened and locked using a MagicBand, MagicBand+ or ticket media. Smaller items like cellphones, sunglasses, or wallets can be placed in a small compartment on each Lightcycle.
- How does the onboard safety restraint system work on TRON Lightcycle Run? The Lightcycle ride vehicles feature a specially crafted safety restraint that allows riders to lean forward on the cycles, providing a unique and immersive riding experience.
- Can I capture my experience on TRON Lightcycle Run with Disney PhotoPass? Yes, Disney PhotoPass offers special photo and video effects, including Magic Shots, to help commemorate your experience on the Grid.
- Is TRON Lightcycle Run the only TRON-themed attraction at Walt Disney World Resort? While TRON Lightcycle Run is the main attraction, the surrounding area, known as TRON Plaza, features unique theming and architecture inspired by the digital world of the TRON films, as well as additional experiences like the Team Green Post-Show Space presented by Enterprise.